It is about time especially since Apple has been extremely lacklustre when it comes to their ageing hardware such as the Mac Mini and Mac Pro which hasn’t been updated in years! In the tech world, years could mean an entire lifetime. With every year comes rumours and here are the latest rumours about the new hardware.
What we should be expecting:
- iPhones – New iPhones for sure. Every year, Apple releases new iPhones and it is indeed the bread and butter of the company. This time around, rumours say that they will release 3 different iPhones. It isn’t a big deal since last year Apple released the iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus and the iPhone 8. This year people tend to predict that there will be a 5.8″ OLED iPhone with edge-to-edge display, a 6.5″ OLED iPhone Plus edge to edge display and finally a 6.1″ LCD iPhone (the cheaper variant).
- iPads – Apple released the 2018 9.7″ iPad earlier this year at their school event (which I purchased). What everyone is expecting is an edge-to-edge screen iPad Pro. An iPad Pro without the home button and also face ID.
- Mac Hardware – Both the MacBook and MacBook Pros are running old Intel chip whereby the newer 8th Generation chips with more cores are blowing out the older processors out of the water. I hope that the MacBook laptops are updated including the iMac as well as the left behind child, the Mac Mini. I currently use an old 2012 Mac Mini as my PLEX server at home and would like to get a more powerful Mac Mini to be able to transcode higher resolution videos. The Mac Mini hasn’t been updated for at least 4 years.
- Apple Watches – Surprise of the list. People do speculate that a 1.57″ display and another watch with a 1.78″ display will be released by Apple. Currently, the models come with a 38mm (1.5″) and a 42mm (1.65″) display size. This would point that we would be getting a slightly larger Apple watch this year. The current generation of the Apple watch is in its 3rd generation.
On the accessories front, Apple has touted wireless charging since last year when they introduced wireless charging first with the Apple watch, followed by the latest iPhone X. Apple went on to showcase an updated AirPods case which can also be charged wirelessly but that hasn’t really been sold in the market yet. We can see that the direction is towards wireless charging so hopefully, the list of new portable hardware might further support wireless charging.
What am I looking for?
- An upgraded MacBook Pro 13″ with the latest processors (at least 4 cores or 6 cores)
- A new Apple watch with a larger screen
- An upgraded Mac Mini with the latest processors
- A large edge-to-edge iPhone
I really do hope that the rumours will be true this time.